Custom C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Idiots on May 04, 2003 at 15:20:21:

As someone who has been lurking on this board for almost a year, I still find it very upsetting to see people make posts without reading the entire thread first! This thread was about a Yamaha 826 prototype tuba. Not an 822. The only way to know that is to have read it every note on the thread and followed the links to Jim Self's web page. An obvious clue to this fact is the reference to the name Monica.
I dare say no one on this page is likely to have ever played this particular instrument. In fact it may be a "one and only". Personally the C.S.0. York copies that I've have played seemed to be less versatile than a typical 4/4 tuba in that they can't do gymnastic exercises as well. They do however, have an outstanding dynamic range and toned quality. If that's what you're looking for I'm pretty sure this is your horn because as a Yamaha prototype there is a good chance that this instrument was handbuilt in Japan or certainly more carefully assembled than a production line instrument. In short, if this is the horn for you, this individual is probably an outstanding example.

As to the cost and value of this instrument I can only tell you that Hirshbruner originally sold their CB 50s for about $18,000 list price (nobody paid that) but that was the list price and that's Floyd Cooley was selling the Walter Nurshel C. S. O. copy for $14,000 and people were standing in line at that price! Other than that I can't tell you.

Now back to flaming. I hope you guys don't play the tuba like you post on this board. Because most instructors certainly will agree that listening is more important than playing !
I have never stated this before on this board but I"m Brian "Goodgigs" Kane I've gone just about as far in the amateur music as a person can go. I've played under
Russ Kline, Aubury Penmen, Gill Woody, "leaping"Lester Lear, Gonzalo "Bert" Valas, Jim Christianson, Lee Chrisman, Ken Bloomquist, Col. Arnold Gabriel,and Col. John Bourgeois (the former the White House music director).
I marched the National parade, I played at the White House. I've played at the Vatican. I've dedicated new buildings. And I've played to audiences of old fogies who were falling asleep. But most importantly I listened to the
music before -after- and most imporantally WHILE I played my parts.
I hope I'm flaming about nothing.....most people do ya know !
YOURS TRULY, Brian "Goodgigs" Kane

Follow Ups: