Re: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Davis on May 04, 2003 at 22:37:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by Well.... on May 04, 2003 at 21:19:13:

Well, if Orchestras get the same return from music sales that the rest of the industry gets, they're bound to fold. The money from music sales winds up with the distributor and the record company, not the artist. Michelle Shocked has pointed out that she cleared more on her self produced small run titles than she did on her hits. Courtney Love detailed a mythic $100,000 Advance band in an essay that pointed out that even if they are Platinum, the five members will likely not see more than 20k each.

Maybe it's different for Orchestras, but I seriously doubt the affect of Kazaa or Morpheus or Gnutella on their profits. It might however, hurt the labels that they record on.

This is a pet peeve that I have. Actually, I'm beginning to wonder when the RIAA is going to start coming to Schools and exacting performance fees for the clearly "fair use" of music in classes.

If someone knows that I'm wrong, please point me to any non-RIAA data to prove it.

Mike

Follow Ups: