Re: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 05, 2003 at 12:07:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by Neil M on May 05, 2003 at 11:24:01:

I agree with your "aside." Symphony musicians certainly DESERVE more than $7/hr. However, this is yet another situation where the "life isn't fair" rule applies. As long as we have an oversupply of musicians, there will be great competition for the jobs which exist. This will be true even if the jobs don't pay what the musicians are worth.

When comparing earnings of "major league" level athletes to "major league" level musicians, is there really a comparison. What is the league minimum in Major League Baseball? This to hit .200 and be an OK fielder. I don't believe ANY major league symphony musician earns that much. It is a case of supply and demand. And to add insult to this injury, the demand for symphony musicians seems to be diminishing.

This further reinforces the importance of those of us "in the know" getting involved in any way possible to save these national treasures(our symphony orchestras). I, for one, do not have all of the answers. I am, however, ready to answer the call when someone can help show me the way. We certainly need to support live music. Classical music has an important role in the lives of the educated(I use that term to include more than just those who have a college education). Perhaps the tuba players of this country(and the world) can help lead the way.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: