Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 05, 2003 at 17:37:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Our business posted by Taxes for the arts on May 05, 2003 at 16:36:00:

>I know more hard working, dedicated, and even lucky musicians that are just getting by financially than I do wealthy ones.

I hardly think THAT reality is exclusive to musicians.

>Are we to just simply just sit by and expect the arts to thrive solely on ticket sales, without endowments, grants, subsidies, or sponsorships? Even in a good economy?

No one is suggesting that. I simply maintain that if professional musicians want to be able to justify 6-digit incomes, there had better be money in the coffers to cover it. Otherwise, take what the market will bear. There is no entitlement for talent, no matter how much you think it should be so.

>I have no complaint about the small percentage of my tax money that has been offered up in an effort to preserve music and art. In fact, it sure beats the heck out of some of the other programs that they throw our hard earned tax dollars at.

Neither do I. The problem is, from the original poster's perspective, is that that small percentage of your tax money is not enough. Also, the hand-out portion (from you and me - not private donation) is the one section of orchestral funding that everyone seems to think can and should be increased to make up for the others.

Look - at the auto parts store I work for, when sales are down I can't simply go to my boss and ask him to make up for the shortfall by giving me an extra bonus that month. Are you saying that my work doesn't require "talent" enough to merit making more money? Where do you draw the line between entitled work and just plain old labor?

I think you're missing the underlying point of my first post. Yes, music is important to our society. Yes, steps should be taken to preserve that art through our national orchestras. But how much pay is enough? Not for me to decide, or you, or the original poster. And simply feeling bad about the situation doesn't do anything about it. Like I said before, support your local symphony and encourage others to do likewise. All the other talk is just touchy-feely nonsense.

Follow Ups: