Re: Home Studio Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on May 05, 2003 at 23:32:37:

In Reply to: Home Studio Help posted by Mike on May 05, 2003 at 09:56:40:

Hi Mike,

You really don't need a super huge system to do audio recording well - the key is streamlining and good file management. Whatever computer you use, take EVERYTHING off of it except what you need to run your recording software - do internet, email, games, whatever else on another PC. Then, you may find that you want to add a second hard drive, and make one a program drive and the other a data drive - that way everything stays nice and neat. If you got a good, stable 1 GHz machine that should be more than enough to do recordings; you only need the extra horsepower if you're planning on doing serious multitracking and mixing for plug in effects.

As far as mic choices, you best bet may actually be to buy two mics - a bass drum mic (like an AKG D112 or something like that) and a condenser mic to set about 3-7' away from the horn. I like Audio Technica mics quite a bit - great bang for the buck. You might also try mics by Rode (the NT1A is well priced and a great mic) or selected Oktavas (the MC012 is pretty good - the rest are pretty shaky).

Check out Sweetwater Sound; ask for Brian Loney and tell him I sent you. He's a good guy that knows his stuff and won't run you around.

Email me if you have any questions.

Daryl

Follow Ups: