Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tabor on May 06, 2003 at 09:12:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business posted by Read Closer on May 05, 2003 at 22:09:51:

I just want to say that I am a public school teacher on a reservation in South Dakota, the state which is currently last in teacher pay across the country and in the second poorest county in the country (right next door to the poorest). While I'm not in the market for a new BMW, the gig isn't that bad. It is steady and we have insurance. If all I had to do was teach music to the children, my gig would be the best thing in the world.

The only parts I don't like are when I have to deal with people without any musical knowledge or training telling me how to do my job, or when I am asked and expected to work witout pay.

Living out here has given me some perspective on the job situation. Go to concerts. Take your friends. If you can afford it, buy season tickets or just send a small donation to your (favorite) local orchestra. We don't have access to an orchestra here, of course, and it really is sad. It is so important, as musicians, that we band together to support one another in a time like this regardless of the particulars. Music jobs are drying up left and right.

"don't feel sorry for me" Tabor

Follow Ups: