Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 07, 2003 at 10:51:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU? posted by Frank Z. Mustafa on May 06, 2003 at 15:50:57:

Try reading it yourself with different eyes. What I saw was not "Hey, don't crawl all over Mark--I was the one who made the comments originally." What I saw was, "Hey, you SMU snobs, lighten up on Mark, because I made the original comments, but by the way, he's right!"

At least that's what I saw. Maybe that's not what you intended. I'll admit that my own perceptions may have gotten in my way, but upon rereading it now, it still seems to say that.

I'll also admit that my humor runs thin at times. But sometimes people think of humor in a Don Rickles sort of a way, and frankly I don't. What may be hilarious over a beer might come out completely differently in print on the Internet. Emoticons don't help.

As far as Mark being the recipient of hatred, yes, there was some of that, given and taken. But he was also taken to task calmly by people who know better and who are directly involved in that program. By what can be seen here (which is, of course, never the whole story), he became upset and left. Sometimes when you make public statements that can negatively influence the livelihood of people, those people will react to defend their livelihood. And his statements clearly provoked that reaction. That's why we should avoid those sorts of statements on this public forum.

Rick "who doesn't think insults are funny" Denney

Follow Ups: