Re: Unfinished business...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on May 09, 2003 at 06:56:29:

In Reply to: Unfinished business... posted by SHS Tubamaster on May 08, 2003 at 19:59:17:

Good morning Chris.
The Miraphones have a wonderful feature that is great for just this sort of thing. First check it this way to determine exactly where the "clank” is. Put your finger against the valve rotor where it rotates between the two bumpers and push against it to hold it in the up position. Now tap on the valve paddle and listen for the noise. If you hear the clank then it is in the linkage and if you look closely you will see where the rod is flexing where a screw may need to be tightened. Also oil the bearings and the ends of the springs on the paddle as well (it pivots on a rod that can, sometimes develop a little space from wear due to lack of oiling.

If there is no noise when you do this experiment then grab the top of the valve and see if there is "play” if you pull up and push down on the top of the valve, which would mean that the valve is not seated fully inside the chamber. To correct this, if you look on the bottom valve cap you will see that there is a little screw right in the center of it. Take a small screwdriver and tighten this (carefully because they are nickel silver and are on the soft side). What I usually do on these is I hold the valve in the down position and then tighten the screw just enough to hold the valve in the down position. Then take your finger off the valve paddle and unscrew this set-screw and when the valve "pops" up you have achieved the proper seating of the valve and it should work fine from there on.

Give me a call and I can talk you through this whole process.

Play well and enjoy.

Roger

Follow Ups: