Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 09, 2003 at 13:28:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Salaries posted by Don't be... on May 09, 2003 at 08:52:22:

So, you are telling me that there is no copyright notice on the AFM or ICSOM publication whence this list came? Maybe it's public domain information, maybe it's not. But you can collate publicly available information and still copyright the collation if you arrange it in an original way. The Institute of Transportation Engineers publishes a salary survey every few years, but you have to be a member to access it, and I can assure you that it is copyrighted.

There's another matter: It isn't anyone else's business what an orchestral player (or any other employee) makes outside of his local (even in the union point of view). A newspaper columnist reported my salary publicly when I lived in San Antonio. The number was small and I was frankly embarassed. It may be public record, but it still wasn't right for him to publish it like that.

I was just guessing on the number of services a year--I really don't know how orchestras count services (i.e. is a concert and two rehearsals one service or three?). But I'd bet that the variation within the orchestras on the list is as much as I suggested. It isn't like my job, where I'm expected to work 2200-2400 hours a year and bill at least 1700 of them to clients.

Rick "glad his salary is not public knowledge" Denney

Follow Ups: