Re: Re: Mid-Michigan playing opportunities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on May 09, 2003 at 16:46:28:

In Reply to: Re: Mid-Michigan playing opportunities posted by LV on May 09, 2003 at 11:14:40:

I played in the Grand Rapids Brass Band for a short while when I worked for Yamaha. It was really fun and musically rewarding (my first experience playing in a brass band). Perhaps more importantly was the professional contacts that I made in this band. From this non paying band I got many quintet gigs and an occasional pick-up orchestra gig. I suggest playing everywhere you can. If you play well, you will start getting calls for pay gigs. Warning, this will take a while. A faster way to start regular gigging is to put together your own bands. I used to run a brass quartet that did weddings and church gigs primarily. Add to that group a drummer and you can do Polka Bands and Dixie and a whole lot more. The key is to own the music and book the gigs then always pay yourself an extra share. Eventually, if you use the same musicians regularly, you will develop your own sound and preferred style of music. At this point, make a demo tape and look for better paying gigs. In short, create your own opportunities.

Follow Ups: