Re: Re: Re: Non-brass music for practice?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 10, 2003 at 20:00:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Non-brass music for practice? posted by Drago on May 10, 2003 at 16:31:40:

Oh, is that why the topic says non-brass music? Doh! :)

Now that that moment of idiocy has passed, I would say that the music of Bach works well regardless of Cello Suites or Flute Sonatas. I have a vocal book which I was using for a while, but I seemed to have misplaced it. It had warm up exercises involving different vowel sounds which caused the mouth and tongue to form different shapes and therfore make different sounds. I found it interesting to try to match what I imagined those different sounds being like for each exercise. Was a real workout in timbres.

I would be interested in finding some more good string books. You have inspired me to make a trip down to the local big music shop and see what looks appealing.

There is also an excellent CD out by Marcel Tabuteau who was principal oboist in Philidelphia for many years. The CD is called Lessons and is an excellent tool for working on dynamics and phrasing. I wish there were more CDs like it which deal with pedagogy by true masters.

Follow Ups: