Re: Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2003 at 09:56:43:

In Reply to: Question posted by Aaron on May 10, 2003 at 22:02:50:

It depends on how you define "best." Given that everyone will define it differently, then everyone's conclusion will be different.

A tuba that is no fun to play is not worth what it costs, no matter how cheap. But only you can determine whether a tuba is fun to play.

There are several new tubas in the $3000 range (give or take a few hundred) that have the potential to be just right for someone. They include the VMI 2103 (often under an importer's label), the Jupiter 582, and the Cerveny 686 (if you find the right one). For a few hundred more, you open the door to the King 2341, the good examples of which are among the best small 4/4 BBb tubas made, in my view. The VMI 3301 is a little more. In the $4000 range, there are the Miaphone S186's and the Meinl-Weston Model 25, both of which are classics that have remained popular and held their value for decades.

If you buy used, the Miraphone and Meinl-Weston mentioned above can be had in excellent conditon for under $3000.

In the $5000-$6000 range, there are the Miraphone 191 and 1291. The Rudy Meinl 4/4 tubas are about a thousand more. Hirsbrunner makes 4/4 BBb tubas that probably cost over 10 grand, heh, heh.

My list is long because I'm making a point: If one of these instruments is just right for you, then it is the best 4/4 BBb for the money.

Rick "who suggests staying within your budget but never buy a tuba that disappoints you" Denney

Follow Ups: