Re: All Together Now, SELL TUBAS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 13, 2003 at 21:54:15:

In Reply to: All Together Now, SELL TUBAS posted by Phil Golson on May 13, 2003 at 21:13:11:

Once again:

Amati 7/8 size BBb tuba with (unlike many of these from the factory that have unplated pistons) NICKEL-plated pistons - which will NOT turn brown and stick and will NOT wear prematurely. "OK" hard case included. Music 123 has one of these "new" on an auction right now with approx. a $1700 reserve. Ours has a very decent lacquer finish and most all dents removed from the branches. $900

Conn 24J B.A.T. 6/4 BBb tuba with 4 short-action .770" bore pistons and detachable recording bell instrument's valve section is almost like new, including the lacquer on the slides and fit of pistons. Instrument exterior is being pulled apart, repaired and refinished for an overall slick appearance. no case. price upon completion of work $2000

The vintage Mirafone 186-5U-CC offered last month has been withdrawn from the market. The owner played it after we fixed it up for sale and decided to keep it. N/A

King model 1240 BBb 3-piston detachable recording bell tuba The .687" bore pistons have been replated and trued on this instrument. The body has "issues", but the instrument plays fine. We located a pair of the "good ol' " 1960's cases in virtually NEW condition (wow), which are included. This instrument - with cases - can be sold for as little as $795 , depending on how much "body work" (if any) might be desired by the buyer.

York EEb satin-silver 3-valve DETACHABLE BELL helicon This instrument is a custom instrument and is in perfect condition. The pistons are ultra-tight / feather-light, and (unlike most smaller York instruments) the bore is around the same size as King-Olds, even though the piston bodies are the typical York small diameter. All of the pistons are vented, and the upper #3 slide has a finger ring for pulling it out to adjust low Bb/low A, etc. I really don't want to sell this instrument, but I just acquired a totally different style EEb helicon and have made a promise to myself NOT to become a "collector" of tubas...Collecting them consumes bedrooms quite quickly and instruments end up not getting played. Pitch on this instrument is A=440 with room to play sharper, if desired. I'll consider offers - no "giveaway" offers, but I'm not going to try to ask some unrealistic price. Since the 19-something inch bell is detachable, this instrument should be safely shippable via U.P.S. (two boxes) - or maybe even U.S. Postal Service (possibly to Europe, etc.) Someone with initiative and ability could build a reasonably thin trapezoid-shaped case that could carry this entire instrument, when disassembled. I spent about $2000 in time + expense 'building' it. I suppose I would consider offers over $1300, if anyone is interested. (??) One could expect very decent (but certainly not perfect) intonation and a nice fat, round sound.

Follow Ups: