Re: hot air

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 14, 2003 at 12:01:38:

In Reply to: hot air posted by P.C. on May 14, 2003 at 11:41:46:

It take more air to play softer with a good tone. But the air has to move more slowly, with less restriction and pressure. Open up your air passages.

The conductor of my band is a pro tuba player, and his prescriptions are on the mark. He says, "Rick, you're trying to play too loud and your sound is spreading." It isn't actually too loud, but it sounds like I'm trying to play it too loud. A spreading tone sounds airy, which non-tuba-players might interpret as too much air. Really it's too much pressure and not enough air. Get the difference? Other better players would come in to help out, and they would be quite a bit louder than me, yet he would not complain because they were within themselves and their tone didn't spread.

Strong chops are also important to preventing a spreading tone. But air is the fuel for the chops, and it is easier to be strong of lip when you are feeding those lips with sufficient air flow.

I understand it a little better each week and each year, and as I improve, I no longer hear that spreading tone.

Rick "been there, done that" Denney

Follow Ups: