Re: Re: From Today's NYTimes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SG on May 14, 2003 at 17:19:13:

In Reply to: Re: From Today's NYTimes posted by Matt G on May 14, 2003 at 15:34:06:

I think that more than 5-10% listen to classical music today. The problem is that they are not willing to pay for tickets to go to concerts. They don't understand the greatness of going to a concert to see an orchestra live. I especially enjoy going to see an orchestra because it creates a feeling inside you that a recording cannot.

One of the biggest problems of these orchestras is that we are all pointing out problems, especially the money ones, but what are the solutions? We never discuss what a solution might be. The orchestras ask for grants, but why would they pay them if nobody goes to the concerts. It doesn't seem like these orchestras are reaching out to the community. They play their concerts and, maybe, they play an occasional free concert. But how are people supposed to know about this? I hype concerts up to my friends that enjoy classical music, but don't go to concerts.

I think what needs to be done is more public playing. Maybe take out the symphony brass quintet or string quartet and play at the local malls where the people are. Play familiar music and then talk about upcoming concerts. Let the public know about things and they will come. A lot more people listen to music than one would think. I have friends who listen to hardcore and thrasher music, but then they still listen to plenty of classical music. These are the people that after first look, you wouldn't believe that they listen. The appeal for live performances needs to reinstated. Concert attendance is down, but the interest remains. Performers must remember that there is a lot more different types of music out there than there was 50 years ago. There isn't really a way to make people come back to classical music, but there are ways to make them expand their tastes to include classical music.

I guess what I'm saying is stop always worrying about the problems and think of solutions. Public concerts in public places are a good way for publicity. If I'm all wrong about this, let me know. I just want to help out like everybody else because when classical music is gone, this world be a lot different. It won't be as enjoyable

My 2 cents,
Sean Goldberg

Follow Ups: