Re: Triton Brass at Fischoff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on May 15, 2003 at 11:25:39:

In Reply to: Triton Brass at Fischoff posted by Jobey Wilson on May 14, 2003 at 15:50:01:

Congratulations! Good to hear of a quintet doing so well. I hope it's alright with you, Jobey, if I acknowledge the grand prize and bronze medalists as well (both groups are from my school and the bronze medalists are my next-door neighbors):

CIM Quartet Wins Grand Prize at Fischoff Competition

Students at the Cleveland Institute of Music won the Grand Prize at the 2003 Fischoff National Chamber Music Association, held at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, on May 9 and 10. The Verklärte Quartet, comprised of Dale Barltrop, violin student of William Preucil; Sarah Crocker, violin student of David Updegraff; Matthew Young, viola student of Robert Vernon; and Stephen Fang, cello student of Richard Aaron, won the Gold Medal ($3000) and the Grand Prize ($5000 and an Italian tour in the summer of 2004). The Quartet is coached by Peter Salaff, Director of String Chamber Music at CIM, and the Cavani String Quartet, ensemble in residence at the Institute.

The Bronze Medal ($1000) went to the Harding Trio, also comprised of CIM students Rachel Harding, violin student of Linda Cerone; Maaike Harding, cello student of Richard Aaron; and Rebecca Harding, piano student of Kathryn Brown. The Trio was coached by Kathryn Brown, Anita Pontremoli and Peter Salaff.

Joseph E. Fischoff founded the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition in 1973 as a way of encouraging young people to pursue chamber music study and performance. Now in its 30th year, the Competition has grown from 6 to 62 participating ensembles in both wind and string categories of three to six performers. Fischoff is the only national chamber music competition with both senior and junior divisions (age 18 and younger) and is the largest.

Follow Ups: