Re: Re: Re: Re: F tubas in concert band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on May 20, 2003 at 10:13:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: F tubas in concert band? posted by jim on May 19, 2003 at 16:31:04:

Ahhh . . . Fort Sam Hilton . . .

I am a native of San Antonio and wanted to serve my three years in the band that used to be stationed there (5th Army). However, due to the high esteem in which duty at Ft. Sam is held, there were always five tubas in only three slots. So I selected duty in New York City instead. My career would have taken a totally different path had I been able to serve in my hometown. I would have certainly re-upped. Now I am playing in an orchestra full time, but have no benefits outside of insurance; zero in the bank towards retirement after ten years. And most of the time we play the same stuff that we did in my Army Band, just with lots of sharps . . .

I wish that I could come home and make a living playing and teaching, but the freelance scene in SA has always been pretty lame.

I wish that I had had the foresight to stay in the military. I would be able to retire in only two more years! I can not imagine EVER being able to afford to retire from this job.

Good luck to you out there!

Wade Rackley

(Oh—in one of our local community bands, I play my Alexander CC and my friend plays his Willson F. They work very well together for the most part.)

Follow Ups: