Re: re: York Tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on May 20, 2003 at 10:56:12:

In Reply to: re: York Tuba for sale posted by Don Harry on May 15, 2003 at 11:49:34:

Hello Don! First let me say that I once heard you at the low-brass workshop in Hamilton a few years ago. You performed the Prelude to the 1st Bach Cello suite on a Yamaha F, I believe. I was there with Brent Adams. Absolutely amazing! The way you circular breathed the whole thing to make it sound as smooth as a cello... remarkable! I didn't know that could be done.

Secondly, about Jane, her name is Jane (Noyes) Maness. She was my instructor for 4 years at Wilfrid Laurier University, and is principal tuba for the Kitchener/Waterloo Symphony. I know this horn that you speak of. I have played it before. It has a great sound, but it also has some quirks to it. There is no 5th valve, so to compensate, she has added extra levers and slides for the other valves. When she plays it, she needs to move slides around for almost every note. However, like the great Jacobs always said... "sound is the most important thing..." If you learn to operate this great sounding horn, then you will definately sound great.

Finally, I will be contacting you personally to talk about a MMus at Eastman. Thanks.

Follow Ups: