Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What ever happened to....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 21, 2003 at 10:26:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What ever happened to.... posted by Jeff Hicks on May 16, 2003 at 13:09:02:

If I read this board correctly, it seems to me repeatedly confirm that the trick to becoming a pro is that there is no trick. Many come asking advice about equipment, but they leave having been (forcefully, sometimes) told that what matters is upstream from the equipment.

I play for the sheer joy of hearing those sounds. I suspect that most others do as well.

In my professional role, though, I make sure that I'm paid for the time I spend on the subject matter. That pay may come in resume points, professional standing, knowledge/experience gained, or money. That is part of being a professional.

Both the professional requirements and the sheer joy of making sounds comprise a professional musician, but there's only so many times you can come on this board and say, "I played a G last night that was so centered, in tune, and focused that..." We all understand that at a basic level, and we all share that connection to the instrument and why we play. We don't need to say it too often, though the occasional reminder will do us no harm. A forum like this is where we can come to talk about all that other stuff.

Rick "who talkes about film, cameras, and lenses with other photographers but who does that for the images" Denney

Follow Ups: