Harvey Phillips- I.T.E.A. Regional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Shoop on May 21, 2003 at 10:35:34:

Harvey Phillips presented a lecture-demonstration last Saturday at the I.T.E.A. Regional Conference at Texas Christian University. His session was entitled "Variety is the Spice of Life," and was an overview of his recording career spanning over 50 years. Mr. Phillips assembled 3 CDs of recorded examples for the clinic and interspersed excerpts with personal commentary and recollections.

For the past two and one-half years, I have been working with Mr. Phillips on the discography for his upcoming biography. To date we have cited over 200 recordings-- beginning with the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus in 1950 to John Mellencamp in 1996. Just a few include his solo recordings on Golden Crest, New York Brass Quintet, several Dixieland groups, Burke-Phillips All-Star Concert Band, Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort, Sauter-Finegan Orchestra, Barbra Streisand, Wes Montgomery, Clark Terry, Gil Evans, Pat Williams, Billy Byers, Frederick Fennell, Gunther Schuller, Morton Gould, etc., etc., etc.!

I am confident that we have documented most of his LPs and CDs that are (or have been) commercially available. At this point, we are seeking out recordings that would be considered more obscure and less-available through commercial sources. Included would be solo performances with band, music camps, clinics, etc. (Yes, we have the 1963 Gunnison recording already). Those who feel they may know of the existence of these types of recordings are encouraged to contact me. Thank you. Steve Shoop-- tuba(AT)hyperusa.com-- (972) 875-9754.

Follow Ups: