Re: Yearly Chop Vacation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 21, 2003 at 12:10:22:

In Reply to: Yearly Chop Vacation posted by Doug Whitten on May 21, 2003 at 10:36:17:

I wouldn't say that my absence from playing is purposeful, however when I go on a vacation with my family, the tuba usually stays home. Since I really suck after a week or more of not playing, I have come to dread that first practice session. This is one of the things which keeps me motivated to practice, even when my schedule is really full. I don't always feel like practicing, but I almost always enjoy practicing once I get started. I know what it allows me to be capable of doing when I am either rehearsing or performing. That is my way of staying motivated.

Along the same line of thinking, I have found what I refer to as "the 10 minute rule." Under this guideline I am able to get myself started practicing. As I said, I don't always feel like practicing. So, I make myself practice at least 10 minutes. If, after the 10 minutes are up, I don't feel like practicing any more, I quite. As it turns out, I rarely quite after 10 minutes unless some other reason forces me to do so. This works for me. I often encourage my students to use "the 5 minute rule." All of us have experienced the feeling of looking at the case with the horn in it and thinking, "I just don't feel like it." The most difficult part of practice is often the process of getting started.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: