Re: Yamaha Sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob PM on May 22, 2003 at 22:47:26:

In Reply to: Yamaha Sousaphones posted by Zach on May 22, 2003 at 13:39:01:

Our local high school has one Yamaha sousaphone, along with a Conn 20K, four King 1250s (predecessor to 2350), a Besson sousaphone, and a King 1270 (Giant .750 bore; 28" bell).

The kids like the 1250s best for the combination of carrying ease and sound.

For sound alone, it's a tie between the Conn 20K and the King 1270. The King 1270 is a couple of pounds heavier than the 20K, and hence less popular.

The least popular horns are the Yamaha and the Besson. Both are almost as heavy, or as heavy as the Conn, but don't play nearly as well.

From an adult player's perspective, the King 1270 is the most interesting horn: its rare and combines the sweetness Kings are known for with much of the richness of a 20K. This horn is pre-WWII, in excellent condition and as sturdy as a tank.

The 20K is probably the best horn of the bunch. It has to be 30-40 years old, but is in very good shape. One of the easiest speaking 20K's I've played.

The King 1250s are also older horns, dating probably from the late 1960's. They are not in as good shape as the Conn, but still have no massive dents and play well. Very typical Kings, sweet and golden sound.

The Yamaha, which is the newest sousaphone, is either the worst or next to worst, depending on how much you hate the Besson. The Besson is heavy, not that well made, and lacks all of the endearing qualities of Besson tubas. The Yamaha is also heavy, and has a really dull sound. It's stuffy compared to the Kings and Conn, and harder to keep centred. (I'm not a Yamaha hater, I have a 621F that I love.)

Overall advice: Buy Conn 20Ks if you can get 'em, Kings if you can't get Conns. Buy refurbished Conns or Kings rather than new anything else.

Follow Ups: