Re: Ok, I've got an F, what do I do now??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on May 23, 2003 at 07:41:55:

In Reply to: Ok, I've got an F, what do I do now?? posted by JW on May 22, 2003 at 09:54:34:

This may sound a little extreme, but it worked for me. I had been playing C tuba for 10 years when I decided to commit to learning and playing F tuba. I had dabbled a little bit here and there with F- and Eb, but I found that it would cause some fingering confusion when I did a lot of switching around.
So, when the Army provided me with a new Rudi 5/4 F tuba, I decided to play everything (except marching band) on F tuba for the next year, in an effort to completely immerse myself in F tuba and make it second nature. I think the plan worked quite well, for I can pick up an F tuba now and it feels rather natural. It may not be the best instrument for every situation, but I now know that I can feel comfortable with an F tuba whenever I do feel that it is the appropriate instrument.
I now consider the F, Eb, C, and BBb as separate instruments. Yes, they are all tubas and you might be able to play them all with the same mouthpiece (although I don't recommend that), but each has its own distinct personality that one must come to terms with. I feel that the F tuba has the most unique character of them all and requires the most work to master, if you want to play F tuba and C tuba equally well. don't worry about forgeting C tuba fingerings - it won't happen. I have played very little C tuba since 1995 and I find that when I do pick up one to play, fingerings are not a problem.
All the best to you,

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: