Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on May 24, 2003 at 00:41:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here posted by Curious... on May 24, 2003 at 00:14:43:

I think there's a difference between honest assessment of a performance and putting someone down.

I tend to agree that people are paying "lip service" with their standing ovations (and I know I mixed my metaphors)

I think most of these ovations are about as genuine as the "have a nice day" remarks that everybody here on the lsft coast makes at the drop of a hat. When I first came here I thought they meant it - but little by little I realized it was just something to say to keep your lips from petrifying. Yeah, we're just going to put this 30 foot tube (lacquer or silver?) up your tail and take snapshots of the backs of your teeth - have a nice day!

The worst had to be the day an elderly relative passed away at home and I went to the funeral parlor to make arrangements, and as I was leaving - yep the funeral director finished with "Have a nice day" Sure! I'll take two more just like it,if you don't mind.

I think it's everywhere - grade inflation, a 15% tip even if they spill your soup in your lap, any performance of the von Flyspeck concerto for cow bells, mouth harp, and Tennessee barking spider in which they fail to swallow their intruments is "stupendous", "phantasmagoric", "extra-galactic", etc etc.

Maybe everybody stands up and applaudes because the agony is over!

Follow Ups: