Re: Re: Jazz Equipment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on May 24, 2003 at 05:28:36:

In Reply to: Re: Jazz Equipment posted by Thomas on May 23, 2003 at 21:45:04:

Just as symphonic players are looking for equipment to match the sound concept in their head, jazzers are also always looking for the axe that best compliments their playing style.

I'm somewhat torn on this- for years I've LOVED Sam Pilafian's sound. It has a kind of dark growl to it that just makes me want to hear more. It's very close to what I hear in my head, and (I mean this in the most humble way imaginable) I think the sound I put out very closely resembles it. I've got several recordings and have seen him live every opportunity I've had. For the longest time I attributed a large portion of that sound to the instrument he was playing- a Meinl-Weston Bill Bell model CC that he's had for a VERY long time. Because of the way HE made it sound, I got the idea in my head that this was the ultimate jazz tuba. Well, recently I had the opportunity to see and hear Sam again, so I of course jumped at the opportunity. I went into the theatre and saw the Besson CC sitting on stage and wondered to myself whether or not this was a good move for Sam- I had played that very same horn before, and didn't like the way I made it sound. So anyways, Sam comes out, picks up the horn, sits himself down on the front of the stage and starts playing his signature "Black and Blue".. half a second after the first note there wasn't a whisper in the auditorium- his sound was glorious as usual, and not remotely different from when he played the Meinl.

So, I don't know if there's a moral to that story. All I can say is that a drastic change in equipment didn't seem to affect Sam's sound at all.. heck, he could probably make a Yamaha sound incredible!

fwiw.

Follow Ups: