Re: are Band Directors Musicians?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on May 24, 2003 at 08:50:53:

In Reply to: are Band Directors Musicians? posted by Tuba Ply/BandDir on May 20, 2003 at 16:30:37:

Here's what I think (Texas Teacher, you're great)...In our society, it's all about winning, unfortunately. i finally am getting my students, parents, and administrators to understand a LITTLE differently. #1 and #2 both have some valid points. It helps to have lots of kids make district, when contests, trophies etc.. This also speaks to the post about student excessive travel. Neglecting scales, or any part of playing an instrument, is bad. But I take exception to #2's statement "How many music education majors played in their top college ensembles at major universities?" Does this mean that unless someone does that they cannot be an effective teacher. Someone on this post said that students are a work in progress. True. So is a band program, and a band director. I teach differently (hopefully better) than I did five years ago. Maybe #1 should teach for the long run and deal with not as many kids making district for right now. I think scales are an essential part of playing an instrument, i think that it is the student's responsibility to drill them to the required level, not the teacher. I have spent 30 minutes drilling scales with a band (earlier in my career). Man, they could play those scales. But have I made them better musicians, and instilled a love of music. I'm not so sure. I agree with Texas Teacher that bands should play to make music, and let the rating take care of itself (parphase). The kids won't remember that rating, but they will remember their teacher and their eexperiences in band (musical, and otherwise.

I apologize for my wandering, incoherent statements. BTW, graduation was last night, so here cames afew weeks off.

Cliff Higgins

Follow Ups: