Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 24, 2003 at 08:51:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions posted by Dennis on May 24, 2003 at 06:33:28:

I would guess ITEA has members in every state and most major cities. Would it not then be incumbent upon them as ambassadors for the organization to assist in setting up just such a program. It seems to me that if ITEA really wants more members, then the members have to do some evangelistic work as well. The total organization needs to change to meet the current needs of those who might belong and who want a hand in the organization.

The Metro-Cats looks really good as a model. Are there amateurs out there who have the time or inclination to push this hard? or is that left to the college/pro players with time to do such?

It appears that I have just taken aim and now slam the college teachers and professional players for taking the time to set up groups like ITEA or the related groups for the other instruments. We can take pot shots from outside the walls because most of us frankly don't have the time required to participate with little more than a cursory amount of time. The problem comes in when one of those people wants to help or contribute in more than just a cursory manner. Business people can contribute much but due to lack of understanding on the part of non-business types, the help is many times left on the table.

The college teachers and professional players have practice time and organization time built into their schedules. Those of us outside that as students, amateurs, or free lancers have to use "free" time for practicing and for all other pursuits of a hobby nature.

I have been on both sides of this coin. I loved having the freedom to practice at will and to organize tuba/euphonium get togethers as a college teacher. As a free lancer, private teacher, and music store owner, the time factor changed. No longer was practicing a luxury, it turned into work. Pleasant work, but work none the less. It took time away from my wife and kids. Organize a get together? Forget it. Did I say I and many others would be glad to give a little time? but not do the whole thing? Ask when local players (student, amateur, free lance) in any major market were asked to help just a little bit? Sounds like being in church - Those in the responsible positions need to ASK for help and then accept what is given freely.

One person from ITEA has responded. Are more of you out there?

Follow Ups: