Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on May 24, 2003 at 09:27:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions posted by John on May 24, 2003 at 01:07:14:

I'd like to present my views of ITEA.

I have run with the so-called "inner circle" of college teachers, professionals, and (self proclaimed) "elite" students both in college and the even more (or so they and their teachers think) elite students from high school.

I believe that ITEA caters almost exclusively to this crowd, despite their stories of being driven by amatuers and the non academic tuba crowd.

It is this academic aspect of ITEA that drives many people away and keeps changes from being made that would take the spotlight off of them.

In fact, I don't know of any (off hand) pros (NOT college professors) that are involved with ITEA nor proclaim its greatness.

I feel (as I was getting at above) that it is primarily the college professors and SOME of their students that use the organization as a major social platform to fuel their egos and "network" with others.

I believe that ITEA divisions is a good idea, but that one division could overrun others.

I've attended many music related confrences, conventions, and shows. Among the finest I've attended have been TMEA in San Antonio, TX, the Midwest Convention is Chicago, and shows done by the Trombone Association and the International Trumpet Guild. I don't believe events of this caliber and magnitude are out of reach for ITEA. In fact, the conventions for TUBA used to be very much like this. However, many complained that they'd like smaller, easier to attend events. Thus the regional format was born. Despite their good intentions, I think the regional format was overdone. I believe there were too many closely spaced confrences (both in time and location) that resulted in poor attendace.

To close, I'd like to say that I am not and have never been a TUBA or ITEA member. I have been on the outside (from a membership standpoint) looking in, and I've never liked what I've seen. I see no real benefits of joining...there is the journal (which from what I've seen leaves something to be desired) and confrences filled to the brim with competitions for "elite" college students and recitals by their college professors, neither one of which interest me enough to contribute my money. I'm with Ray on this aspect. Where is the effort being made to include the amateurs and hobby types?

Just some thoughts...I'll be back for more later

Follow Ups: