Re: Tuba Lessons via the Internet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JW on May 24, 2003 at 13:25:32:

In Reply to: Tuba Lessons via the Internet posted by David on May 24, 2003 at 09:03:39:

I have not read any of the fellow poster's comments, but I'm assuming what I'm about to say has already been said. We (You, me, he she--everyone)are posting for tuba players around the country (world). Many items of discussion (mouthpieces, horns, etc.: stuff that you had mentioned above) I would never have heard of (or would have known what to do, as the case may be) if I didn't ask a question here. I for one do not have a tuba instructor. My lessons come from an awesome trombonist who teaches at my school. He is very knowledgeable about music, musicality, but for tuba questions, I feel that he is inadequate to come to.

Also, when I post, I am getting various opinions from various artists, amateurs and hackers. I receive all kinds of knowledge and I learn to take everything with a grain of salt. I've found out that I have to experience this stuff on my own just to get my individual experience (I know at this point I almost sound contradictory, but bare with me), whereas, if I were with a teacher who told me what to do, get, etc., and did not post a thread of discussion, then that would be my experience and nothing else. I'd be living in the shadow of my teacher and I would not be thinking for myself--not that this is a bad thing; sometimes we don't need to think for ourselves.

There are many more reasons, but I guess it all stems from the transfer of knowledge and experience to one who has not. Hope this answers the question.

Thanks for listening,

Josh

Follow Ups: