Re: Re: Re: Re: Etude Recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I've... on May 24, 2003 at 14:05:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Etude Recommendations posted by How about on May 24, 2003 at 13:51:50:

...never seen Charlier in bass clef, but I think everybody should get to know treble clef, and how to play it on various key tubas. First, it opens up a whole new world of solo literature as well as etudes (trumpet, oboe, flute), and secondly, it fosters an increased level of musicianship, and aids tremendously in getting to know your horn as well as possible (sight reading, ear training, etc.)

Jacobs advocated using "trumpet" fingerings...if you see a middle C in treble clef, you play it open third partial on whatever tuba you're playing...it would sound bottom of the staff F on F tuba, C above pedal C on CC tuba, etc. I learned this the hard way with him in a lesson, when we finished with my prepared Blazhevich, and he reached around to the table behind him, whipped out the Walter Smith "Top Tones" book, and turned, I think, to number 15. Sight-reading time...treble clef in four sharps, on an F tuba. Anyway, this concept is great for duet playing with the same key tubas. I believe, however, it's also highly beneficial to be able to read treble clef and have it sound at concert pitch (as well as Bb), no matter what key tuba you're playing.

Follow Ups: