Re: Gronitz Eb or MW 2141 Eb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on May 24, 2003 at 21:25:49:

In Reply to: Gronitz Eb or MW 2141 Eb? posted by Eric on May 24, 2003 at 20:06:16:

I shouldn't comment because I've never played the M-W Eb. I played on the Gronitz Eb for about an hour and a half. The Gronitz was pretty well in tune except for the fourth-space open "G", which was a bit flat for me - more flat than it is on my 983 . It has a very fat low register, and I really, really like it that the 5th valve is tuned to the low A-natural (tritone). The low end fingerings are pretty easy because of it. Also, there's easy access to the 2nd valve tuning slide, so it's pretty easy to clean-up low register tuning with that one slide alone. My ONLY complaint about the Gronitz, is with its low, squat, pancake bell. The horn was just a tad bright and "shouty" for me. Then again, as I've said before, I have a somewhat bright sound anyway. It may be that it just sounds a bit brighter when you're playing it (as opposed to listening to it), since the bell is closer to your head than normal. The people at Gronitz told me that the horn had been designed for Swedish military bands. Because of the low, pancake bell (wide flange), it really doesn't look much like other horns in the Gronitz line. If you're looking for a fat low register with easier fingerings, the Gronitz may be your ticket. The high range is tad a easier, more "there" on my 983. I've never played the 2141, but some people have really good things to say about the Parantucci Eb. Good luck.

Barry Guerrero

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: