Re: MW-2145 or PT-20

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on May 25, 2003 at 01:01:08:

In Reply to: MW-2145 or PT-20 posted by Richie on May 24, 2003 at 19:14:37:

A friend of mine plays a PT-20, I've tried it and it's a very nice horn. He gets fine results in ensemble playing, quintet and solo, although he recently decided to buy an F to go with it.
I think for your purposes, if you want only one horn to suit all situations, you might do better on an Eb. This will depend on your career goals, of course - you may want to go for a large CC and pick up an F down the road. At any rate, it's worth considering.
Anyway the main point I was going to make is that flying to Custom and buying a brand new PT-20 will present a terrific expense for you. I just checked out www.lowbrasswerks.com, which has alreay been recommended, and saw a very nice list of horns that would do very well in professional settings. I'm sure you can find something there - at least pay Tony a visit and try them out (bring your teacher!)
Furthermore, keep checking this board for used horns (especially around the beginning of the month). They tend to pop up all over the country, but I'm the odd one shows up in California.

Follow Ups: