Re: Re: Etude Recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on May 25, 2003 at 16:52:47:

In Reply to: Re: Etude Recommendations posted by James on May 25, 2003 at 14:43:12:

I completely agree... to a point. I consistantly work on solos from other instruments (i.e. Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, etc.), many times in the original clef and transposition. I see great value in these works as a means to better myself as a musician, generally because we tuba players do not have the quality literature that cellists, hornists, and flautists have.

But when I need to play for a recording session, brass quintet gig, new composition for orchestra, or any other situation freelancers in L.A. face, all of which I need to sight-read on the spot at a very high level, I believe the best way to prepare would be to pick up bass clef music that is appropriate for my instrument. Sight-reading treble clef music may have some benefit, but I can't imagine that it will be better than reading music more similar to the music I will be given on a gig.

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific as to the needs I am trying to meet with my original post. I am sorry if I have caused any confusion.

Thanks for your help!
Scott

Follow Ups: