Re: performance mindset

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on May 28, 2003 at 00:34:58:

In Reply to: performance mindset posted by Tim on May 27, 2003 at 19:45:09:

The comments I have for you are only if you have worked hard on this piece and now seem to be going backwards leading to this performance. If you haven't worked that hard, these comments probably will not help you. But, from what you wrote, I think you have prepared well for this and now things just aren't clicking. Anyway, here it goes...

Macro-Micro-Macro

When we truly learn pieces we usually sight-read it first, then start diving into the composition. We do things such as identify problem areas and work on them, research it (historical info, listen to recordings, etc...), perform some form of analysis into the piece, etc..all in an effort to truly learn it and ingest the music. The problem is that coming out of the details is often hard. We start to anticipate problem areas which cause us to freeze at certain moments or pay too much attention to a certain note, interval or technical passage and end up not hitting the stuff prior or afterwards because we gave too much attention to what we are anticipating. We forget why we liked the piece in the first place...because it was fun to play or listen to such a great composition.

When we sightread, we play through things to get a general impression of a piece. If you are a good sightreader, you will tend to play more shapes and lines on the initial reading relying on what you have already learned as a musician to identify quicky what is in a piece in a effort to give yourself an good overview of the work. After you study a piece, I feel it is very important to go back to the overview or the musical intent of the work. All of the work you have done should now be a part of your playing ability and the piece can flow out of your musicality. Now is the time to let the music come out of you. Not so much thinking as presenting. You know the tune....sing it! Stop worrying about what you are doing wrong...focus on the great music before you and let yourself produce it. Get out of the way...let it happen. You have done the work, have fun with what you have learned. From here, analysis is for post-performance, not during!

In conducting, we often use the term Macro-Micro-Macro when studying a composition. If you don't know a piece, the ensemble will see right through you. If you are stuck in the Micro, the ensemble will probably hear way too much about things that will not help their performance and the performance will suffer because the music tends to become academic or stale. When you have made the complete cycle, you can allow the piece to become your's. It can flow from you easily and the ensemble will respond to it often not even knowing why. The rehearsals tend to be more about music making versus merely drilling musicians on technical passages. And, in my opinion, the performances tend to be more of why the composer wrote the piece in the first place.

In general, if you know the piece then let yourself play it. Focus on the music and let yourself sing. I would sing it (out loud!) often as you intend to play it. To get ready for the performance, I would put yourself through mock run-throughs to better sense what it will be like when you are playing it that night. Think of where you will be, what you are wearing, seeing your self in front of a band with an audience in front of you. If you can, visually see yourself giving a great performance! How does it feel to play so well...how easy is it to just play...how fun is to make music? I would start focusing on the phrases, the contours of lines, the energy, beauty and story-telling of the music. Stop worrying about things because that won't help you in performance. Take great breaths and play the song. (Everyone knows where that comes from!) And, most of all....HAVE FUN!

I hope any of this rambling is helpful. Good luck in all you do.

Mark

Follow Ups: