Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B&S 4P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 29, 2003 at 20:44:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B&S 4P posted by Parochial on May 29, 2003 at 20:03:06:

Pitch is an extremely important part of the "language" of music.

I remember a time when I university hired me to play a new brass quintet composition for their "New-Music-That-Will-Never-Be-Published-And-Will-Only-Be-Performed-After-Inadequate-Rehearsals-In-One-Or-Two-Colleges Week" with the school's faculty brass quartet.

I'm not about to mention the name of the school, but let me just say that these guys were not the first folks on anyone's call lists, and if it were not for playing duets with their students in lessons and the once-every-couple-of-years 1/2 recital split with another faculty member, these guys wouldn't play at all.

We began to rehearse and in their own-little-worldly way they were all playing sort of in tune with each other about 55 cents above A=440. Of course, my tuba (not being a B&S 4P nor a MW45S-LP) wouldn't play that high. After about a minute or two, I let them know that I could probably meet them half way, but playing any higher than 30 cents above A=440 was a physical impossibility. We agreed not to perform the piece, as they apparently couldn't manage to adjust down to only 30 cents above A=440.

Follow Ups: