Re: York BBb wanted/ Where to get cut

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on November 02, 1999 at 21:00:03:

In Reply to: York BBb wanted/ Where to get cut posted by Andy Smith on November 02, 1999 at 11:02:53:

One of the past listers on this BBS, Sam Gnagy, had a brass York "Master" (post-war York, made from York toolings in Bohm & Meinl factory in Germany) that he cut to CC. He was trying to sell it earlier this year, perhaps it is still available? Sam ????

f.w.i.w. I HIGHLY recommend that you get a horn that is already in the finished condition you want. Most horns of the type you are shopping will cost you 4-6 grand, and plan to come close to doubling that for the cut/refinish work - there's probably not much savings in starting with a primo-shape horn, as it still needs to be entirely disassembled anyway (i.e. time=$$$) One advantage though is you can get it finished exactly like you want --- but there's quite the price to pay for that kind of eye candy...and remember that if your BBflat horn sounds like a BBflat before it's cut it's unlikely that it'll sound like a CC when you are done, AND there's no guarantee that your perfect-pitch BBflat will even be playable (intonation-comparison-wise) after it's "cut."

The attached photo is of my Rusk-cut, Fred Marzan-designed, Bohm & Meinl-built from York tooling CC. Gee, if I ever refinish the bell ya think I should have all of that engraved on the bell with a naked lady and a bunch of grape leaves?

Follow Ups: