Re: Schilke Heleberg II

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Lloyd on November 03, 1999 at 21:17:15:

In Reply to: Schilke Heleberg II posted by Todd on November 02, 1999 at 16:44:24:

I own both the R and S heavyweight and non-heavyweight. I play them on a Kalison Daryl Smith.

One thing that I have noticed is that they have very different rims. The heavyweight has a flatter rim than the non-heavy weight. I have not heard a big differenece in sound between the two. I got the non-heavyweight because the heavyweight mouthpiece is ugly. When I ordered it Charlie at wwandbw warned me that it was kind a funnyy looking and I dismissed him and said that I had no interest in such superficiatlities, but I eventually grew to dispise having what looks like a minature soup can at the end of my otherwise gracefully curved instrument. This is contrary to my expectation that I would grow indifferent or even fond of it's shape.

I have held the R and S Helleberg II next to a Shilke Helleberg II and they are very similar, but the Shilky has a noticibly wider throat. This could explain the difference in sound. I'm thinking about stepping up to the Shilke for that reason.

Follow Ups: