Re: tuning fork

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve P. on November 04, 1999 at 10:02:10:

In Reply to: tuning fork posted by Winton on November 03, 1999 at 23:09:34:

I don't want to do the math, but I think the answer is something like this: The fork is a fork because the side that isn't struck is supposed to produce "sympathetic" vibration at the desired frequency when the other side is struck (the struck side will also produce a predominance of the desired frequency if it is not hit to hard). The more energy that you provide on the struck side ( the harder you hit), the more likely that that fork will divide into harmonic frequencies and produce overtones on that side (maybe the other side also). If a lot of energy is provided, the waves may even "reflect" off the ends of the rod and travel back and forth along its length, producing even more complex frequency patterns. Any of these tones may interact with the other side producing "beat" frequencies at lots of other pitches.

Something like this is probably happening, I think this answer is sufficiently vague to keep me out of to much trouble. Interesting science, but why you don't want to hit the thing to hard if you want the "pure" A440.

Follow Ups: