Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on November 05, 1999 at 16:23:33:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Go for it Mike!!! I, personally, don't know of anybody who learned to play later in life, ie; in their 20's, but the mind is the only thing that is going to hold you back. I would definitly study piano while playing tuba, I believe it helps train the ear. As soon as you read music well enough, start singing in a choir. This will also train your ear. Some of the best tuba players I know are great singers, it helps with phrasing, breathing, and conception of line. Most important of all, find the best teacher in your area.Study and practice.I firmly believe you can do anything you want to IF it is important to you. I must warn you, your physique has nothing to do with your ability to play. Meet Ron Bishop sometime. If I remember right, he can't be more than 5 something and weigh 150 lbs soaking wet, and he plays the hell out of the horn. Good luck with your endeavors, but remember, it's music, not the bible. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups: