Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob on November 05, 1999 at 17:10:31:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Mike,
Although I started when I was 10, I didn't have any real instruction until I was 38. I had quit for 15 years and decided to start over. I also switched from a BBb to a CC horn which ment I had to learn new fingerings. That was over 20 years ago and I am still very active.

Find a good teacher. He/she doesn't have to be the greatest player in the world but it needs to be someone who can identify with your particular needs. I have had lessons with 4 different people; all professional players and I would consider that two of them really understood what I was trying to accomplish. Fortunately, the first was Mike Thornton (who is a very good player) and he gave me a foundation that has lasted until now.

As soon as you are confortable with it, find a community band etc. to play in. That provides a lot of motivation to work and expand your skills. It is also a lot of fun.

Listen to recordings of good players playing good parts. More motivation plus a chance to define what 'your' sound should be.

Good luck. I hope you have as much fun as I have had.

Follow Ups: