Re: Re: Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 06, 1999 at 12:07:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Walter Gomes on November 06, 1999 at 07:58:01:

Walter, you're making me blush!!!

Anyhow, I was going to post Walter's story on this thread but I didn't know if it would embarass him so I hesitated. Suffice it to say that Walter started playing tuba much later than normal and he taught himself initially out of a book. When he moved to South Florida, he had the resourcefulness to look up the name of the local symphony player (me) and simply called me up. At first, I was unsure what lessons with Walter would be like. Most of my students are high school and college age and are pursuing tuba as their primary instrument. But Walter exhibited something else that really is germaine to this discussion. Walter really loves the tuba, really is dedicated to playing better. All he does is play in his local church and practice. But he works harder than most of my students and he has progressed very nicely.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you want something, just dedicate yourself to it and see what happens. Walter is proof that a love for the tuba can be turned into rewarding experiences as a performer. I would encourage any teachers out there to take on amateur tubists who are past high school and college age because the experience can be very different and rewarding. Thank you, Walter.

Follow Ups: