Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hal on November 07, 1999 at 17:30:28:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Come on Mike, 'fess up. You just want to take up the tuba to get girls, right? Seriously, there is one aspect of tuba playing that I haven't seen so far in this discussion; it is a lot of fun to play with a group. I think that is why (besides hardening of the brain that comes with age) it is easier to learn in school, where it is easy to join a band. A lot of people might disagree but the truth is that tubas usually play the bass line, which requires a group to play along with (grammer?). I'm not saying tubas don't play solos, or shouldn't, but the fact is that they usually don't. Other instruments, like saxaphones, guitars, cellos or accordions are a little more flexible for playing by oneself. Having said that, let my affirm the overwhelming opinion of this discussion so far; if in your heart you hear a tuba calling you, then you already know the answer to your question. Best of luck, and enjoy!

Follow Ups: