Re: Contrabass vs Sousaphone......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on November 07, 1999 at 18:54:44:

In Reply to: Contrabass vs Sousaphone...... posted by . on November 07, 1999 at 13:31:29:

It depends --

Field drill style:
Lots of sliding, sideways movement, running: contra
Back & forth, blocks, step-2, etc.: sousie

Street marching:
Sousaphone: just wear it, many visuals also available;
Contra: carry it (learn best techniques), other, but fewer, visuals available

Reading music:
Sheet music: doesn't matter
Flip folders: Sousaphone, by far
Memorized music: doesn't matter

Playing comfort:
For me, contra (a properly-designed one, 4/4 or bigger) is much more comfortable -- breathing is much more natural with my arms up near a trumpet-style position than down low as with a sousaphone.
BUT -- it does take some time to find that comfort zone. However, it's really as simple as making a habit of fundamentally correct posture.

Marching comfort: doesn't matter. I've seen players of all sizes do great with both, and I've seen players of all sizes have a hell of a time with both.

Visual presentation: doesn't matter; only as good as the players -- or more specifically, how well the players are taught. Other than that, personal preference is the determining factor.

Sound, from the stands' perspective: Doesn't matter. The best MT's and sousies both sound really similar. However, there are many crap MT's still being built that just don't contribute to the ensemble, and although there are also crap sousies, they're more rare (IMO, there are a lot of average sousies, and only a few good models).

What would I buy? It depends.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: