Re: Re: Re: Contrabass vs Sousaphone......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on November 08, 1999 at 12:55:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Contrabass vs Sousaphone...... posted by Dave Seip on November 07, 1999 at 22:09:54:

Yup, I shore did a test, and if anybody really wants to know the numbers of the results, I can email a copy.

To summarize: 4 sousies (Pan Am, Olds, King, small York), 4 concert tubas (186S, YBB-321, Zeiss BBb, VMI 3302, all pointed forwards as if they were on the shoulder), 1 King contrabass (that I own). Tubas I didn't have: Conn 20K, Yorkbrunner, PT-6, -7, the big Kanstul & Willson-built DEG contras, etc.

Worst two instruments: sousies (Pan Am, York [although its intonation & clarity were excellent]).

Best three: two sousies (King [#2], Olds [#3]) and an upright (3302, which was tops overall).

The King contra? It did very well, but was perhaps hampered by the judging criteria, which had an emphasis on dark sound. The King isn't really as dark as I had once thought, but here's an interesting thing -- the slightly brighter sound seems to blend much better with the rest of the brasses. Take this concept farther and you're looking at cimbassos and their great blend with trombones. A good sousie section, in ensemble, still sounds to me like "brasses + tubas", and _personally_, I don't like that as much. Other people do like it, though.

But, yeah, anything that's played well can sound good -- this year's Cavaliers and Blue Devils were two of the best-sounding marching bass brass sections I've ever heard, better than the big university down the interstate with 15-16 or so 20K's.

And, yes, I'm speaking from way too much experience on each ("A lot of people go to school for seven years..." "Yeah, they're called 'Doctors'!").

:-)

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: