Re: cleaning a rotary system?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on November 09, 1999 at 11:50:45:

In Reply to: cleaning a rotary system? posted by Alex on November 09, 1999 at 10:57:40:

Rotors aren't really that much more complex than pistons, all the springs and complex bearings are external. Basically you remove the lower caps, the screw that holds the assembly on the top of the valve and tap (not pound) the rotor out of the case. Make sure to pay very careful attention to the order in which things come apart and keep all the corresponding valve pieces together. The rotors will have markings identifying the valve number and the registration marks will show how they should align when you are done. The bearings in the valve are simple straight bearings so make sure you oil them while putting them back together. There are instructions somewhere in the archives on how to maintain and dissassemble rotaries, double check my instructions.

The key is to make sure you have plenty of space (I work on mine on the bed) and time. Most of all be patient!!! Use the same care you would use when working around the motherboard of your PC or Mac.

The previous owner of my horn (Miraphone 186) got in a hurry and swapped parts around, when I first got my hands on it, it blew A-flat and E-flat as open partials. After about 20 minutes of work it is back to a normal CC horn... maybe that is why they wanted to unload it so fast!

Follow Ups: