Re: the "Conn Helleberg" !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barrry Guerrero on November 10, 1999 at 00:26:12:

In Reply to: the "Conn Helleberg" ! posted by Tim C on November 08, 1999 at 22:40:25:

Tim,
If you surf around this tuba net, you'll see many, many postings about various helleberg m.p.'s. It seems like nearly every m.p. maker has some kind variation on the original helleberg concept. In general, the helleberg is very efficient because the overall volume is not too great. It has a deep funnel which makes them very smooth for legato and slurring, yet the cup diameter is less than on a Bach 7, 18, or 24AW (I might be wrong about the 24AW). I once had a Mirafone Helleberg that I liked very much. A highschool student of mine badly abused it, so I let him keep it. I've never cared for the feel of the famous Conn 7B Helleberg (very sharp, flat rim). I also sound rather "bright" on the 7B. I think it's because 1.) I'm quick to get a bright sound and 2.) it has a rather thin wall and large backbore. Anyway, I'm out of touch as there are a great variety of new Helleberg pieces. I want to try a few myself, and am open to suggestions as well.

Follow Ups: