Re: Roosevelt University

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on November 12, 1999 at 11:12:29:

In Reply to: Roosevelt University posted by Charles D. Ortega on November 12, 1999 at 00:48:26:

I can offer you an outsiders impression. I live in the Chicago area, and have lived here all my life. In the early 80's I considered Roosevelt, (for a music ed degree) but I wasn't sure their reputation was very good at that time. I believe the music area was originally the Chicago Musical College, or something like that which became part of Roosevelt. Roosevelt, I believe, was designed originally to be a school for the working man, and I think it still remains more of a commuter school. It has expanded in recent years and opened branches in some of the suburbs.

That being said, it is also my understanding that they are trying to seriously build the music department. Yes it is in what looks like an office building right down the street from Orchestra Hall, or Symphony Center as they now call it. I think they are now trying to make use of this proximity. I know a harp player who plays in the Civic Orchestra, and she does study with Sarah Bullen, the harpist with the CSO.
I attended a small guitar conference there earlier this year, which attracted about 200 players from mostly the midwest, but also around the country. We played a very nice ensemble piece with about 150 people on stage and maybe 30 in the audience. Don't let the office building thing fool you, although the builing is old, what I saw in the building was ok. Nice little stage up on the 7th floor, if you can believe it.
I'd say call the school, talk to the administration, but also see if they'll let you talk to the instructors or students.

Follow Ups: