Re: is the Y. F 822 a good horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on November 12, 1999 at 14:50:51:

In Reply to: is the Y. F 822 a good horn? posted by Caterine Gauthier on November 12, 1999 at 12:50:37:

I think the Yamaha is a great horn. The low register is huge. Many people are turned off by the horn because it isn't as bright as the B&S. It wasn't intended for that. That is like comparing a Yorkbrunner to a Mirafone 185. It is a great horn for solos, quintets, and lighter orchestral literature.

I play my 822 for everything except wind ensembles and big orchestras. I think it is better than the 621. The 621 sounds more euphonium-ish. The 822 definitely sounds like a tuba.

I have played my 822 next to a B&S PT10 a lot. There are some things that I definitely prefer the PT10 for - some Berlioz, some Stravinsky, and the like. I play my 822 for the Hungarian March from Berlioz's Damnation of Faust because I can really put a lot of weight on the low stuff. You simply can't do that as effectively on the B&S. The high register is cleaner and a little easier for me to play on the B&S.

If you want an example of the 822's sound get Jim Self's new album "The Big Stretch." Jim plays the 822 on every track except one (Waltz for Maya - he plays his Yamaha York copy). The duet is played by Jim and Doug Tournquist and they are both playing the 822.

All I can say is that I love the horn!! I will always keep it.

Follow Ups: