Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on November 14, 1999 at 09:21:12:

In Reply to: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Jeff Baker on November 12, 1999 at 14:23:20:

We've talked on the phone so I hope you can tell I'm sharing my honest opinions. So figure it out.
Do you like marching in a band? You said yes. Is it a chance to make a lot of friends based upon a mutual interest? The answer is yes. Does the band typically have the highest grade point average of any organization on campus? I remember reading that (excluding Chess Club)is the case. Will staying in marching band mean you will need to spend 1 extra year in undergrad? You said yes which also iples an increase in expenses. What's left?
Can you afford to stay in school a little longer? Of course college is a financial strain. But can you afford it? If you can, will you get enough pleasure from marching in the band to offset the financial expense?
Those last couple of questions are the kind of questions which will decide your life. i.e. Yeah I'd like to drive around in a Porsche Carerra, but to do so would mean I couldn't afford to go on vacations, the movies, or nice seats at a concert, etc. Or, I love cars and going to a Porsche ralley every weekend IS how I want to spend my life. It's your life.
Personally, I never enjoyed marching band and just did it to be in the group and to play concert music when football was over. Then again, I don't make any money at fishing, but I enjoy wading in a stream practicing my casts and learning what flys to use. And it costs me money! But I choose.
As for the anon. Band Director posts; It is true what I heard Harvey Phillps say first, "There is always room at the top." If someone asks SHOULD I go into music? The answer is NO. The odds are against you. But when you know something is what you love and want to do, then you'll never be a failure for reaching for it. You may fail in your attempts, but YOU will never fail. Enyoy the fun years of college life while you are living them.
Matt

Follow Ups: