Re: laquer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on November 16, 1999 at 11:36:30:

In Reply to: laquer posted by T.Lathon on November 14, 1999 at 15:27:15:

This is just my opinion, but I've removed the laquer from the last two horns I've owned. Specifically the bell and leadpipe. I was very careful not to make any assumptions before playing each horn without the laquer and in my estimation each horn played ever so slightly better than before. People in the playing and repair fields whose opinions I respect agree that an unlaquered horn is more resonant and warm sounding.I'm certain you will hear some many with the opposite opinion.As to how to remove the laquer, I simply went to tha hardware store and got a gallon of laquer remover. USING RUBBER GLOVES slather the gel over the areas of your horn you choose.Do this in a warm well ventillated area. You will see the laquer bubbling up. Reapply the remover for the tougher spots. I had to rub lightly with steel wool to get some areas done. These small scratches come out rather easily with brass cleaner/polish. (Brasso).Just be careful with this stuff. After the laquer is off the bare brass will tarnish from time to time. I guess this is why brass instruments were laquered to begin with. I use brasso every couple of months..it has a tarnish inhibiter. GOOD LUCK!

Follow Ups: